Skip to main content

Agency Alert

Welcome to the new IDOT home page.  Our location has changed, please update any bookmarks.

Highway Permits

Per 605 ILCS 5/4 209, IDOT requires a permit when working within the right-of-way of an Interstate, U.S. state route, Illinois state route, or state maintained roadway. A permit must be obtained prior to the start of any work and a copy of the approved permit must be at the worksite at all times. There are two types of permits for work within state right-of-way. Below is the process and resources for applying for a Highway Permit - for all non-utility work in right-of-way (municipalities, residential, commercial, agricultural, etc.)

There are two types of permits (utility and highway) for work with state right-of-way.