Skip to main content

Agency Alert

Welcome to the new IDOT home page.  Our location has changed, please update any bookmarks.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

General Questions

How do I navigate this website?

A website overview and tutorial is available on the Help page.

How do I submit a claim for damage to my vehicle?

Information on the claims process can be found online.

How do I find information on Disadvantaged Business Enterprises (DBEs)?

Information on certification can be found here. To find information about certified DBE firms, visit the Illinois UCP Directory.

I’d like to find out information about the Adopt-A-Highway program.

Information on IDOT’s Adopt-A-Highway and other community programs can be found on the Community Involvement page.

Where can I find traffic counts?

Traffic count information can be found online. More detailed Annual Average Daily Traffic (AADT) counts are available on IDOT’s interactive mapping application.

I’m looking for travel information to help me plan my trip.

Visit Getting Around Illinois where you have the ability to search and display several sources of transportation data. You can find information on winter road conditions, annual average daily traffic, road construction, trucking routes, and planned road projects. 

Where can I find real time traffic information?

Visit Travel Midwest or Getting Around Illinois for real time travel information.

What is IDOT’s Winter Seasonal (Snowbird) Program?

IDOT hires two types of temporary positions for its Winter Seasonal Program, which usually occurs from October 16th through April 15th of each year.

First, IDOT hires full-time, temporary highway maintainers – known as “Winter Salaried Highway Maintainers (Monthly Snowbirds).”

Winter Salaried Highway Maintainers (Monthly Snowbirds) perform all of same job duties as IDOT’s year-round highway maintainers, including performing a variety of tasks related to the maintenance, repair and upkeep of roads, bridges and other related structures and features. Winter Salaried Highway Maintainers (Monthly Snowbirds) must have a Class A or B CDL with an X or N endorsement.

Second, IDOT hires on-call, as-needed truck operators – known as “Snow Removal Operators (Hourly Snowbirds).”

Snow Removal Operators (Hourly Snowbirds) are paid hourly and respond to emergency weather situations to inspect roadways, operate snow plows/salt spreaders, and remove other hazardous materials/obstacles from the roadways. Snow Removal Operators (Hourly Snowbirds) must also have a Class A or B CDL with an X or N endorsement.

Where and when can I apply for seasonal programs?

You can apply for a Winter Salaried Highway Maintainer (Monthly Snowbird) position or a Snow Removal Operator (Hourly Snowbird) position at either:

(1) Employment or


The positions will be posted each year, typically in the month of September.

District 1 (Cook County, DuPage County, Kane County, Lake County, McHenry County, and Will County) only posts for and hires Winter Salaried Highway Maintainers (Monthly Snowbirds).

All other counties will post for and hire both Winter Salaried Highway Maintainers (Monthly Snowbirds) and Snow Removal Operators (Hourly Snowbirds).

How do I obtain a state of Illinois map?

The Illinois Official Highway Map is available at all Illinois rest areas. You can also request a map online or by contacting us.

Where can I find tollway information?

The Illinois State Toll Highway Authority is responsible for the tollway system in northeastern Illinois. More information can be obtained on the Illinois Toll Highway Authority website at

How can I find information about vehicle license plates, vehicle registrations or title transfers?

The Secretary of State is responsible for motorist services. More information can be obtained on the Secretary of State website at

How can I find out about upcoming road projects in my area?

The annual highway program, as well as the highways portion of the multi-year multi-modal program list out all planned projects by IDOT district.

How do I find out about IDOT events?

IDOT hosts or participates in hundreds of events each year. All types of IDOT-related events can be found on the IDOT events calendar. You can also sign up to receive emails based on your specific interests.

How do I obtain information on road closures?

Emergency and planned road closures can be found online.

Where can I find construction information?

Construction information can be found on the Construction Releases page. Information is broken down by IDOT District. To find out what IDOT Region and District you are in, click on the interactive map here.

Where can I find information about IDOT lettings and procurements?

The Transportation Bulletin is the official publication for construction bids by IDOT's Division of Highways and Division of Aeronautics, as well as for the Illinois Department of Natural Resources. Letting information can also be obtained by joining a subscription list.

How do I submit a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request?

Information on the policies and procedures for submitting a FOIA is available online

How do I report a pothole on a state-owned highway?

Motorists may report potholes on state highways online.

How do I learn more about free motorcycle training offered by IDOT?

Illinois is one of two states to offer free motorcycle training. More information can be obtained online.

I was involved in a crash and was given a form to complete. How do I submit the form electronically?

Under a recent change to Illinois Statute, completion of the Illinois Motorist Report is no longer a requirement. Based on Public Act 102-0560, a motorist involved in a motor vehicle crash will not need to fill out an SR1B Illinois Motorist Report and send it to the Illinois Department of Transportation. However, pursuant to State Rules, any employee involved in a crash in a state vehicle, is STILL required to file this report with IDOT’s Bureau of Data Collection, please send a request for a copy of the Illinois Motorist Report to

IDOT was required by law to conduct a statewide study of traffic stops to collect data to identify racial bias. Where can I view these studies?

Information and data from the Illinois Traffic Stop studies is available online. Data is available from the date the study began (January 1, 2004).