Skip to main content

Agency Alert

Welcome to the new IDOT home page.  Our location has changed, please update any bookmarks.


How do I get my motorcycle license after successfully completing a free Cycle Rider Safety Training Program class?

Upon successful completion of a free BasicRider course (BRC, BRC2 or 3wBRC), you will receive a completion card in the mail. That card is valid for one year from the course completion date as a license waiver. 

Take the card to an Illinois Secretary of State Driver Services facility to add the endorsement to your license. There is a small fee to make this change to your license. No additional testing will be required, unless the graduate of the course is 16-17 years old and wants an "M" endorsement. State law requires Cycle Rider Safety Training Program graduates who are 16 or 17 to also take a driving and written test.

Am I required to take a state-sponsored motorcycle safety course before getting a motorcycle endorsement on my license?

No. If you are at least 18 years old, no motorcycle safety course is required.

How much do Cycle Rider Safety Training classes cost?

All courses offered by the Cycle Rider Safety Training Program are free. However, during registration you may be charged a $20 fee by the regional center you are enrolling with. This fee is fully refunded after taking the course.

I took the course and paid the registration fee; how do I request a refund for my course fee?

Each regional center is different, so contact them directly to request your refund.

What should I bring to a Cycle Rider Safety Training Program class?

All students are required to provide the following safety equipment:

  • Long-sleeved shirt or jacket
  • Long pants (heavy material with straight legs)
  • Sturdy, over-the-ankle footwear (not cloth or canvas, preferably boots)
  • Full-fingered gloves
  • Eye protection (glasses, goggles or face shield)

Do I need to provide my own motorcycle for a BasicRider Course?

No, we provide a training motorcycle for you during BasicRider courses (BRC, BRC2 and 3wBRC).

I lost my course completion card; how do I get a replacement card?

Contact the regional center that issued the original card to request a replacement. Course completion cards are valid for licensing purposes for one year from the course completion date.

I'm in the military and an Illinois resident, but I’m stationed out of state on active duty. I’m required to take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course to ride on base. Is that card eligible as a license waiver in Illinois?

The Illinois Secretary of State has special provisions for accepting out of state Motorcycle Safety Foundation cards for Active Duty Illinois residents who are stationed outside of Illinois. Please contact The Illinois Secretary of State for additional guidelines or assistance.