Skip to main content

Agency Alert

Welcome to the new IDOT home page.  Our location has changed, please update any bookmarks.

Utility Permits

Per 605 ILCS 5/9 113, IDOT requires a permit when working within the right-of-way of an Interstate, U.S. State route, Illinois state route, or state maintained roadway.  A permit must be obtained prior to the start of any work and a copy of the approved permit must be at the work site at all times. Below is the process and resources for applying for a permit for Utility Work in right-of-way (new installations, maintenance of existing utilities and utility relocations; mainly for municipalities and utility companies.)

There are two types of permits (utility and highway) for work with state right-of-way.