Skip to main content

Agency Alert

Welcome to the new IDOT home page.  Our location has changed, please update any bookmarks.


Before you apply

Before you order your permit, please gather the following information:

  • Will this be a single or round trip move?
  • Will the object being moved be loaded on a trailer, towed by a truck while on its own wheel base, or driven under its own power.
  • What is the object being moved (Load Description), including two (2) of the following three (3) items if the load is overweight; manufacturer, model number or serial number of the load being moved (not the vehicle moving it).
  • Overall dimensions (width, length and height) of the truck/trailer when loaded or the own powered unit.
  • License plate and state of the hauling unit, if exempt, serial number of the own powered unit
  • If overweight:
    • Gross weight
    • Individual axle weight
    • Individual axle spacing in feet and inches between each set of axles
  • Origin of load:
    • If starting within Illinois, an exact address can be used.
    • If entering from a state line, you will need to know which one of the five (5) bordering states (IA, IN, KY, MO or WI) and the route traveling on when entering Illinois.
  • Destination of load:
    • If ending within Illinois, an exact address can be used
    • If exiting Illinois into one of the five (5) bordering states, you will need to know which one and the route traveling on when exiting Illinois.
  • Specific route(s), if any, the driver wants to utilize.
  • For interstate movements, you must obtain a U.S. DOT number.

**NOTE: Permits issued by IDOT are for travel upon state jurisdiction roadways ONLY. You are required by law to obtain permission from any local jurisdiction, including municipality, township, county or skyway, or from the Illinois Toll Authority PRIOR to moving on local jurisdiction roadways, toll roads or when crossing toll structures.**

Applying for a Permit

Once you have determined the type of permit that is needed:

  • Access the Illinois Transportation Automated Permit System.
    • Registration is required for new users.
    • The ITAP system is designed to give our customers 24/7 access to oversize/overweight permits.
    • If you have difficulties navigating the ITAP system, you may contact the Illinois Oversize/Overweight Permit Office at 217-785-1477 ext 1, or a Permit Service Company to purchase assistance in obtaining a permit.

Payment Options

Once you have created a logon for the ITAP system, there are several ways to pay for permits:

  • Credit Card (American Express, Discover, Master Card or Visa only)
  • E-Check
  • Starting June 1, 2019 customers who use a credit, debit card or E-Check to pay for permit fees and other permit expenses will be charged a convenience fee by JetPay.  Credit or Debit card convenience fee is 2.25% of the total amount due (minimum of $1.00).  E-Check convenience fee is $0.75 per transaction. 
  • Or you may open an Escrow Account.  Once you have applied online for an account, you will receive a notification based on your specifications that your account is ready for funds. You can fund the account using check, cash, or E-Check. 

    If you are an existing holder of a Bonded Account with the Illinois Oversize/Overweight Permit Office, and need to modify the amount of your bond, please complete the OPER 1931 Proof of Bond and submit the original to the Illinois Oversize/Overweight Permit Office.