Rules, Regulations and Fees
- IDOT rules, regulations, permit fee tables and related information that govern the issuance and movement of permits are available in the Oversize and Overweight Permit Movements on State Highways Policy (2022).
- Permit Fee Tables for Over Dimension, Overweight, and Overweight on Axle Only (Gross Legal) categories.
- Limited Continuous Operation Permit Fees.
- Calculate an estimated superload fee, with the Superload Fee Calculator.
If you are moving an implement of husbandry, as defined in the IVC 625 ILCS 5/1-130, and you are over-width only, please refer to OPER 2279 Wide Loads of Implements of Husbandry.
- No permit moves of any type are allowed over ton load limit structures on marked or unmarked routes under the jurisdiction of IDOT
- Only legal weight moves are allowed to cross legal weight structures on marked or unmarked routes under the jurisdiction of IDOT
- Movement on all toll roads require a permit issued by the Illinois Toll Authority
- Use the Obstructions and Restrictions map to identify specific vertical clearance
- Temporary Restriction List Files (txt) & (pdf) Temporary Restrictions can also be viewed on Getting Around Illinois
- Permanent Restriction List lists of permanent roadway restrictions and are also identified on Getting Around Illinois
- State Line Bridges list restrictions identified by adjacent states and identified on Getting Around Illinois
- IL Road Jurisdictions can be viewed by going to https://www.gettingaroundillinois.com/ map and selecting the Obstructions and Restrictions map. Once on the map zoom to the location of the route you need to verify jurisdiction for and then click on the layer list and select IL Road Jurisdiction. Once the IL Road Jurisdiction turns on you will see various colored lines on the roadways to identify the routes jurisdiction.