IDOT seeks to provide hands-on planning and financial help for grantees who are looking to resolve some of their public transportation and/or intermodal problems. Public transit problems can run the gamut from reorganization of bus operations to transit-oriented development to development of specialized transit services for elderly people or people with disabilities. Intermodal issues can include the development of smart corridors or the analysis of freight traffic flows, to the development of truck parking at existing and new industrial parks. We enjoy talking over ideas with potential applicants and welcome inquiries!
2023 Call for Projects
- The Illinois Department of Transportation (the Department) shall be applying for federal Section 5305(e) State Planning and Research funds and has limited state matching funds to pay for and oversee balanced and comprehensive planning, preliminary engineering, design, and evaluation studies of public and non-public transportation modes that are included in the metropolitan or statewide transportation planning process (49 USC 5305(e)).
- Notice of Funding Opportunity
- For more information on the BlackCat application process, here is the recording of the April 18th webinar.
Eligible applicants are authorities of the State of Illinois, metropolitan planning organizations, and local governmental authorities, including public transit agencies.
For the 2023 call, the latest application forms are already loaded into BlackCat. Please see the 2023 NOFO for more information.
Technical Planning Study Reports
The following studies help illustrate the variety of issues Grantees face. They include but are not limited to such issues as reorganizing existing bus operations; determining the physical, operational, and financial feasibility of rail line extensions; analyzing how elderly people make transit mode choices; and identifying major freight traffic flows within and through Northeastern Illinois.
- Logistics Park Calumet Business Development Study
- Freight Activity Micro-Simulation Estimator Final Report
- Rockford Comprehensive Transportation Operations Analysis
- CASD Final Report
- Final St. Clair Transit Report
- KACOR Final Report - January 2005
- SMTD Comprehensive Operational Analysis Final Report
- Springfield Mass Transit District Night Service Study Final Report
- SSMMA Freight Technical Memorandum 1 June 2008
- SSMMA Freight Technical Memorandum 2 June 2008
- St. Mary's Road Corridor Study Final Report
- DeKalb-Sycamore Area Transit Development Plan Final Report