About Traffic Records
A truly successful Traffic Records System includes the collection, management, and analysis of data within six core statewide data systems – Crash, Driver, Vehicle, Roadway, Citation and Adjudication, and Injury Surveillance. The integration of these various state agency data systems is essential for creating a comprehensive database of information that can be analyzed to identify both engineering and behavioral dangers on Illinois roadways. The quality of this data is assessed by measuring the timeliness, completion, accuracy, uniformity, integration, and accessibility of each data element and the TRCC structure is consistently working to improve upon those assessments.
The TRCC works to ensure compliancy with the six core statewide data systems. Because there are two subcommittees that comprise the TRCC- the Executive Committee and the Technical Committee- both subcommittees work on their respectively assigned tasks to ensure Illinois traffic data meets all requirements from laws to policies to stakeholder needs. Complete details on the Executive Committee and Technical Committee will be made available in the TRCC Charter, MOU, and Guidelines that are currently undergoing review and approval. Email DOT.TRCC@illinois.gov for complete details.
The Executive Committee is comprised of executive-level staff from the Illinois Department of Transportation, Illinois Department of Public Health, Illinois Office of the Secretary of State, Illinois State Police, and the Administrative Office of the Illinois Courts. Representatives from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Federal Highway Administration, and the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration also serve on an advisory basis to the Executive Committee.
The Executive Committee meets at least annually to:
- provide policy oversight and program direction for statewide traffic records activities;
- review and take action on strategic, project, or legislative recommendations provided by the Technical Committee;
- promote communication and coordination of traffic records among and within participating agencies;
- authorize the expenditure of federal grant funds and/or other state agency funds to support and improve the Traffic Safety Information System Improvement Program.
Executive Committee 2023 Meeting Date(s)
The Technical Committee, established by the Executive Committee, is comprised of a diverse, representative, and relevant cross-section of expertise focused on important technical aspects of achieving the goals set forth in the Mission Statement.
The Technical Committee meets three (3) times per year at minimum for the purposes of:
- developing consensus among agencies for system direction and priorities;
- providing leadership and direction to the Traffic Safety Information System Improvement Program;
- forming and serving with technical standing and ad-hoc sub-committees to complete various tasks and provide guidance;
- obtaining input from Technical Committee members and others to assemble information to aid in the decision-making processes of the Executive Committee;
- conduct an annual evaluation for approval of Illinois’ Traffic Records Strategic Plan;
- making recommendations to the Executive Committee regarding direction of enhancements to further improve the Traffic Safety Information System and integration of systems across agencies;
- obtaining input from various state and local agencies to coordinate data collection and analysis tools;
- establishing critical timelines, performance goals, and budgets for various aspects of approved projects.
Technical Committee 2023 Meeting Dates
- Tuesday, January 17, 2023 from 9:00am-11:00am
- Tuesday, April 18, 2023 from 9:00am-11:00am
- Tuesday, July 18, 2023 from 9:00am-11:00am
- Tuesday, October 17, 2023 from 9:00am-11:00am
All in-person meetings shall be held at 2300 S. Dirksen Parkway, Springfield, IL 62764. Email DOT.TRCC@illinois.gov for more information. This is a statewide committee and therefore allowed to hold meetings virtually. However, effective with the October 2022 TRCC Technical Committee meeting, Technical Committee meetings will be held with a hybrid option to allow members to join in person or remotely. TRCC members shall be made aware of any changes by the TRC prior to the start of each meeting.
All persons wishing to attend in person shall be able to join to going to the Hanley Building at 2300 S. Dirksen Parkway, Springfield, IL 62764. Email DOT.TRCC@illinois.gov for more information.