Blue-Ribbon Commission on Transportation Infrastructure Funding and Policy
The importance of Illinois’ vast multimodal transportation system to the travelling public, quality of life for citizens, and its influence on local and regional economies of Illinois and the United States require transportation programs and policies be considered proactively and in a forward leaning manner. Therefore, the Illinois General Assembly created SB0849 (20 ILCS 4116) the Blue-Ribbon Commission on Transportation Infrastructure Funding and Policy to execute the following duties
The Commission shall:
- Evaluate current transportation funding in Illinois, taking into account the viability of existing revenue sources and funding distributions.
- Consider new and innovative funding options.
- Evaluate the existing governance of Illinois' transportation system, including roles and responsibilities for the state and county, township, and municipal governments.
- Evaluate current and future workforce needs to design, construct, and manage the state's transportation system within the Illinois Department of Transportation and within the State as a whole.
- Evaluate current and future data needs of the Illinois Department of Transportation.
- Consider and recommend steps to expedite project approval and completion.
- Consider future trends that will impact the transportation system, including safety needs, racial equity, electric vehicles, and climate change.
- Consider ways to improve transportation investment impacts on goals such as improving racial equity, addressing climate change, and increasing economic growth.
- Consider improvements to the performance-based programming system.
- Consider multimodal system needs, including public transportation, bicycle facilities, railways, waterways, and airports.
- Consider alternative solutions employed by other states.
Here is information on the Commission and appointments: Office of Executive Appointments - Appointments - Boards and Commissions Detail View (illinois.gov)
Here is the legislation that reenacted the Commission: SB0849
Blue Ribbon Commission Subgroup Meeting
Time: Sep 22, 2023 11:30 AM Central Time (US and Canada)
August 11, 2023
July 27, 2023
February 15, 2023
The meetings are open to the public. To attend, please contact Holly Bieneman at Holly.Bieneman@Illinois.gov