Move Illinois: 2024 Long-Range Transportation Plan
Welcome to Move Illinois, the Illinois Department of Transportation’s (IDOT) 2024 Long-Range Transportation Plan (LRTP)!
The Long-Range Transportation Plan is a comprehensive and strategic roadmap that outlines transportation goals, objectives, and planned investments over an extended time frame, usually spanning 20 to 30 years. It is designed to address the various needs of Illinois' extensive transportation network, which encompasses highways and bridges, airports, public transit, rail freight, rail passenger systems, and more. The LRTP serves as a guiding document for policymakers, transportation agencies, and stakeholders to aid in decision-making, funding allocation, and project prioritization.
At IDOT, we believe in the power of forward-thinking and comprehensive planning. That's why we update the LRTP every five years. In doing so, we’re working to align Illinois’ transportation investments with the evolving needs of our communities and promote economic growth, environmental sustainability, and social equity.
Engaging with the people of Illinois is crucial in shaping the LRTP to reflect the diverse needs and desires of our communities. To be sure your voice is heard, we are planning several in-person and online public events, surveys, stakeholder meetings, and more. Our first online public event and survey are live NOW! Click here to begin.
State law mandates that IDOT update the LRTP every five years. As such, Illinois’ previous LRTP was released in spring 2019. Its six chapters focused on economy, livability, mobility, resiliency, and stewardship. Click here to learn more about the previous LRTP.
Bookmark this page and keep an eye out for upcoming opportunities to participate in the public engagement process. You can also fill out the contact form below to join our email list.
If you have any questions or comments about this project, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other Transportation Efforts & Studies
IDOT is simultaneously conducting multiple transportation studies to capture the unique characteristics of different regions and transportation modes across the state. Through this collaborative approach, the 2024 LRTP will bring together all the findings into a single comprehensive document, forming a blueprint for transportation across the entire state. Join us in reshaping the way we Move Illinois.
MOVE ILLINOIS – PHASE 1 ONLINE EVENT
Developing the 2024 LRTP is a multi-phase effort that will take place through late 2024. The first and current phase involves collecting data from existing or ongoing transportation studies in the state to determine the overarching goals for the plan. At the same time, the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) is collecting public feedback to help shape the potential goals and objectives of the LRTP.
The previous LRTP’s goals focused on enhancing economy, livability, mobility, resiliency, and stewardship within the Illinois transportation system. For the 2024 LRTP, we are gathering public input via a survey to determine whether to retain these goals, remove or change any, or introduce additional ones to better address the evolving needs and aspirations of our communities. Make your voice heard by taking the survey below.
Take our survey!
Whether you're a commuter, a resident, or a visitor, we want to hear your experiences with and insights on our state's transportation system. Our survey is available in both English and Spanish at the link below. Your input will help shape the goals and objectives in the LRTP that will guide transportation decisions for years to come. Don't miss this opportunity to be part of the 2024 LRTP and improve transportation in Illinois!
The LRTP project team is attending in-person events throughout the state. Visitors will have the chance to engage with IDOT staff directly, learn more about the plan, and take our survey. A full list of events is here:
Kankakee Farmers’ Market
- Date: Saturday, September 23, 2023
- Time: 8 a.m. – Noon
- Location: Intersection of S. Schuler Avenue and Merchant St (200 S Schuyler Ave) Kankakee, IL 60901
- More Information: https://www.downtownkankakee.com/downtown/farmers-market/
QC Farmers’ Market in Rock Island
- Date: Saturday, September 30, 2023
- Time: 8 a.m. – Noon
- Location: Intersection of 1st Ave & 17th St (1701 1st Avenue) Rock Island, IL 61201
- More Information: https://www.qcfarmersmarket.online/
Old Capitol Farmers Market
- Date: Saturday, October 11, 2023
- Time: 8 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Location: Corner of 4th and Adams Street, Springfield, IL 62701
- More Information: https://www.downtownspringfield.org/old-capitol-farmers-market/
Farmers Market of Carbondale
- Date: Saturday, October 14, 2023
- Time: 8 a.m. - Noon
- Location: Westowne Shopping Centre, 2001 W. Main Street, Carbondale, IL
- More Information: https://www.farmersmarketcarbondale.com
Garfield Park Neighborhood Market
- Date: Saturday, October 28, 2023
- Time: 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Location: The Hatchery Plaza, 135 N. Kedzie Avenue, Chicago, IL 60612
- More Information: https://www.gpcommunitycouncil.org/programs/neighborhood-market
In the second phase,
1. The LRTP team will develop a list of strategies that provide solutions for the improvement areas identified through study data and public feedback.
2. Illinois stakeholders will be asked to provide their feedback and priorities on the identified strategies.
3. IDOT will then review the feedback to prioritize the strategies.
In the third and final phase, IDOT will release a draft of the LRTP plan recommendations for public review and comments before the final LRTP is published in late 2024!